Thursday, July 18, 2013

Struggling toward the Harvest

Groundhog Burrow
There are many enemies to the garden.  I've talked about animals and I probably again today, but weather can be a friend or a foe.  In the greater NYC area, we've had temperatures above 95 and the heat index has been over 100.  We are in extreme heat conditions.

Broccoli at Secret Garden
At my house, many plants had withered before I watered them.  Fortunately, they came back.  I have a bit of a test garden in that my brother gave me samples of seeds.  I really like the Rador Wax Beans.  They were well nigh perfect and next year we can plant a packet to share.  The sample packet of cucumbers and the sample seeds of zucchini are doing well.  (More on squash and cucumbers later.)  There are little tomatoes on the plants.


Tomato at Secret Garden
Acorn Squash at Secret Garden
Now about the sun, it is God's gift.  Without it nothing can grow, but too much heat can cause disaster.  The secret garden is so secret and shaded, that the growth is stunted.  I believe there are all of three peas on the podded peas.  However, the broccoli, though a little slow, is great.  The tomatoes are a bit... thin.  It could be the variety, but I think it is the lack of sun.  We will (eventually) have tomatoes and broccoli from the secret garden and maybe even some acorn squash.  I plan to start some autumn cabbage to replace the peas.


Cucumber
Melons last week
Melons this week
We had an animal invasion at the Potato garden.  The potatoes are fine, but the vine crops are over pruned.  There are currently 3 melons.  I have hit the vines with hot pepper.  I have placed an animal control substance of extreme pepper compounds around the garden.  I will be placing some deer deterrents that I used last year and netting over the melons.  The cucumbers and melons will come back.  However,  whatever animal it was, grazed on the peas and for all purposes, they are gone.  I plan on replanting with Provider Beans.


Tomatillos
Last at the congregational garden, things are dry, but coming along.  I placed straw around the tomatoes and salsa garden to keep the moisture in.  The onions that are ready will be harvested on Friday.  There will also be some leaf lettuce available.  This is the last leaf lettuce until after we plant again in August.
Greens at Congregation
So our garden has woes, but the harvest is coming in and is starting to look promising.  The same is true in our spiritual lives.  We have setbacks, but when we give ourselves to the things of the Lord and indeed to the Lord, himself, we begin to shine with a reflect of His glory.





17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
18 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory,
are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory,
which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.  
2 Corinthians 3:17,18

No comments:

Post a Comment