Friday, August 2, 2013

Learning from the Garden


Dill
Greens:  Perpetual Spinach in front
Blossoming Beans
We are starting to harvest.  This week we had our second picking of rainbow chard and perpetual spinach.  We should be picking these greens every three to four weeks until the frost.  Although the dill is ready to harvest, I am waiting for the seed heads to mature. We should have beets next week and beans in about two weeks.   Planting is continuing in places where either the plants did not come up or where the crop is finished.  The next planting of beets and carrots has come up.  Unfortunately the parsnips and root parsley came up in a very spotting manner.  I transplanted these in a row.  This week I planted winter kale and fall lettuce.  I have started fall cabbage and broccoli.

Chewed on Broccoli
Let me discuss the cabbage and the broccoli.  It seems that someone, probably me, left the garden gate open about 6 inches on the bottom.  Yes, the top was secure, but our friend the groundhog must have gotten in.  He is particularly fond of cabbage and broccoli.  I know what I needed to do, but did not check it out when I "locked" the gate.

Tomatillos






I also notice the husks on some of the tomatillos are splitting.  I picked four in that condition.  I really want to give people a chance to make salsa, but we will see.  I did not grow up with tomatillos. You may know that many plants will stop producing is they are not picked in time, so I am concerned with the quantity of fruit that the tomatillo plants will produce.  I will have to read up and research both tomatillos and salsa making.

Tomatillas with split husk
Over time, I have learned many little tricks in gardening.  Some I have read.  My brother and I learned many things by watching our grandmother and parents in the garden.  I've been taught some things through the very act of working in the garden.  This is also true with our spiritual life.

There is a lot we can learn by reading and even memorizing the Word of God.  We have brothers, sisters and parents in the faith who have patiently taught us many things.  Further, for those who have believed the Word of Truth, the gospel of their salvation, they have received the promised Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13,14).  Read through the Upper Room Discourse (John 14f) and you will see how the Holy Spirit is our guide, teacher, and advocate.  Even so, we must pay attention and follow.




 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
 2 Timothy 3: 16,17

No comments:

Post a Comment